Wednesday 9 May 2018

Cherries in chocolate

Fresh cherries, dipped in plain chocolate, still with their stems on, make a spectacular after dinner comestible. Somehow, they have never quite worked for me. The chocolate is too thick in parts, and the cherries make the chocolate wet-tasting.

Although not homemade, I prefer Mon Cheris which, despite their French name, come from Germany. They are wrapped in pink foil, rectangular and should, in my view, be fridge cold. The chocolate cracks; the liqueur floods out and you chew the cherry. A feast for Christmas Day to be enjoyed while opening presents. And one should not drive afterwards.

I am always willing to try alternatives, but my opinion is that nothing beats a Mon Cheri. There is the Marks & Spencer’s cherry liqueur: beautifully wrapped in red foil, looking rounder and redder than Mon Cheris, but lacking in flavour or texture. Many years ago, before I even discovered Mon Cheris, my favourite chocolate of all was the Liquid Cherry, to be found in a box of Black Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment